Agile Scrum works best with small teams that work to deliver software which is prioritized by the team backlog. It is then built in iterative models with sprints by having the highest priority items implemented first. Agile execution works best in small teams. But when it comes to managing large organizations, it becomes difficult. Thus enterprises are adopting agile execution techniques to maximize success. The waterfall model can be easily scaled to become Agile.
The following practices of the Waterfall Model can become Agile:
- Centralized control was replaced with decentralized decision making.
- Enhancing the Role of Project and Program Managers.
- Detailed project plans became lightweight epic-based business cases.
- Introducing automation & deployment in the enterprises.
- A defined work breakdown structure was replaced with agile planning.
- A defined financial structure.
- Increasing the role and coordination of external stakeholders & dependencies.
- Commitment to the team and constant rotation of team members.
- Replacing resistant mindset with an adaptable approach to embrace change.
In the recent past, Scaled Agile Framework has been adopted by organizations of domain ranging from finance, logistics, insurance and government. Abbreviated as SAFe, the Scaled Agile Framework provides a framework to apply Lean and Agile practices at an enterprise level. But why use SAFe? Why are enterprises applying SAFe? This article describes the 15 reasons why SAFe is essential for Agile Teams and why it should be incorporated to help achieve your business goals.
- It encourages quick adaptability to changes in technology and economic conditions.
- It promotes collaboration and transparency between the development and the top management. This is done by creating a connection, leading to an active interaction between the development team and the team consisting of the Vice President and the C-Level individuals.
- It ensures in attaining business value in the shortest sustainable time.
- Ensures consistent approach towards planning, execution and delivery.
- Regardless of the size of the enterprise, SAFe allows scalability and configurability that suits your business needs.
- Cross-Functional Agile Teams deliver working software after every two weeks.
- Agile Release Train (ART) brings together multiple agile teams on a consistent routine for every 8-12 weeks known as a Program Increment (PI).
- The cornerstone of SAFe that is Program Increment (PI) Planning cadence-based session where agile teams band together to define the goals they wish to achieve in a fixed time period. This results in having face to face, collaborative, interactive and innovative sessions that build team spirit and synergy.
- Promotes the sharing of strategy, common, vision and architecture amongst development and the managerial teams.
- At the end of every release train, there is an inspection of the product from the customers.
- Constant feedback from customers helps maintain a successful business relationship leaving room for improvement throughout the entire process.
- Continuous integration and validation amongst teams help in reducing risks.
- Provides significant improvement in business productivity, quality, employee engagement and time to market.
- Usage of Scrum-of-Scrum in the Agile Release Team keeps the team in synchronization with each other.
- Promotes innovation.